School Arrival Procedures
- Doors open for students at 7:45 a.m.
- Breakfast for students in Grades 1-8 will be between 7:45 a.m and 8:00 a.m.
- Breakfast for students in Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten will be between 7:45 a.m. and 8:00 a.m.
- First period will begin at 8:00 am. Students are considered late if they arrive at school after 8:00 a.m.
- Timely arrivals are necessary to ensure that students maximize their instructional day.
Students who arrive after 8:00 a.m. are required to get a late pass from the Main Office before being allowed to enter their classroom. If students do not have a late pass, they will be sent back to the main office to receive one.
Regular school attendance is required of all students in the Baltimore City Public School System. Punctuality and regular attendance are shown to have a direct effect on a child’s success in school. Therefore, students are expected to be in school each day and on time, except in cases of emergency or for the reasons detailed in the attendance policy on the following page. Please note that we will pay close attention to families that show a pattern of late arrivals and early dismissals.
It is the parents’ responsibility to contact the school if their child is absent for any reason and provide a note explaining the reason for the absences or lateness:
- It is the responsibility of the parents to ensure that their children arrive to school on time. Students with chronic tardy concerns will result in the due diligence process and may be reported to the office of truancy.
- The school is responsible for notifying the parents of unsatisfactory attendance and work with the parent to make improvements.
- Lawful absences are: Death in Family/Bereavement, Illness of student, Court summons, Religious observance, Hazardous weather conditions, Suspensions and State emergencies.
- Unlawful absences are: Any absences not listed above and/or after investigating, cannot be verified as lawful.
- Parents that are found with excessive attendance issues will be subject to attendance actions initiated by the school through Baltimore City Public School System.
Students will begin dismissing by 3:25 p.m. Due to safety concerns no one will be admitted into the building after 3:15 p.m. This gives the administrative team an opportunity to prepare the school for dismissal. This policy is in place for the safety of the children at Montebello. Please be respectful of the staff that work hard daily to ensure the safety of the children.
- Early dismissals interrupt the instructional day for your child, the teacher and other students in the classroom. If you have a scheduled doctor’s appointment, please send a note so your child can prepare early for the dismissal and be picked up in the office.
- Please note that the school dismissal time is 3:25 p.m. Afternoon announcements begin at 3:15 and the students are dismissed immediately following them. After 3:15 p.m., we will not allow any early dismissals. This procedure is in place to ensure that we know who is in the building and student safety can be ensured at all times. If you have a unique circumstance, permission will have to be granted by the principal.
Steps for Parents to Follow for Early Dismissal
- Parents/Guardians should write a note giving an explanation and instructions for the early dismissal.
- Parents/Guardians should request missed assignments if the child is out for more than 1 day. If a student is absent for more than three days, a letter from the physician is required to legally excuse the absences.
- Excessive early dismissals will be addressed with parents or guardians. Please refrain from coming to school early daily to remove your child from class as this causes unnecessary interruptions to the instructional program.